The NWS Federal Credit Union was chartered on September 25, 1956 by a group of seven volunteers under the name of Naval Mine Depot Employees Credit Union. The original field of membership was the civilian employees of the U.S. Naval Mine Depot, Yorktown, Virginia; credit union employees, members of their immediate families and organizations of such persons.
The philosophy of the credit union was "to make more available, to people of limited means, credit for provident purposes through a national system of cooperative credit, thereby helping to stabilize the credit structure of the United States".The philosophy has remained constant while the name of the credit union has changed to NWS Federal Credit Union. Due to the type of federal installation where the main office was located, the Board of Directors determined a definite need for a satellite location. This location would enable family and retired members to have continued access to their credit union.
The Grafton Office began operation in July of 1983 and the Gloucester Office opened in June of 1985. With these offices came later evening hours during the week, and Saturday hours. A new Grafton Office located at 6035 Route 17 began operation on July of 1988, and also originated the ATM system for the NWS Federal Credit Union. In 1993, a new location for the Gloucester Office opened at 2543 George Washington Memorial Highway, Hayes, VA. This location proves to be more accessible for both north and south bound traffic and has the convenience of a drive-thru window.
The NWS Federal Credit Union will continue to provide the best financial services at the lowest cost and return a higher profit to our credit union membership family.